Welcome to the School of Screenprinting
We offer screenprinting education for anyone desiring to learn the best practice methods of the screenprinting process. We have presented workshops on screenprinting for over 40 years to a wide variety of students, from beginners with zero knowledge of the process to advanced screenprinters who wanted to take their skill set to the next level. Whether you are an artist with a need for using the screenprinting process to reproduce your own serigraphs or a large commercial venture with hundreds of staff members that need their skill set enhanced, we can help you achieve your goals.
Introduction to Screenprinting Weekend Class
Our introduction class is offered at our location in sunny Cuernavaca, Mexico (just south of Mexico City) by appointment and is held over two days. Those with no previous knowledge or skills in the screenprinting process are given the insight to allow them to better understand the over 600 variables in the process. We answer your questions to prepare you to enter the screenprinting technologies. These are private classes for you and your guests.
Advanced Screenprinting Class
Our advanced class is offered at our location in sunny Cuernavaca, Mexico (just south of Mexico City) by appointment and is available for any number of days as you require. The advanced course is for those with more experience in the screenprinting technologies which require a deeper knowledge of the process to improve their skill sets. The advanced class is designed with the consideration of meeting your expectations and is not a canned presentation. These are private classes for you and your guests.
Specialized Classes at Your Location
We have traveled the world over to present training and are happy to offer this service to you. This can be quite beneficial to those with a large staff to lower the travel costs. You can organize a group, set your agenda, and have us facilitate the training at your location.
Distance-Based Online Training
Online training is designed to give you the tools to help you succeed. We make class information and materials available to you a week before classes begin. Every online class is created based on a mutually organized syllabus and presented online using an ordered, easy-to-follow framework.
Each week’s topic discussions, and assignments are specific to the week in which they were assigned. As each online course progresses, you have access to course materials, instructor lectures, and chats.
One of the most important parts of being successful while taking online courses is actively working with your peers. That’s why all of our online classes feature robust discussions threads and chat features. Classes may include group projects where students reach out to one another via email and chat to complete group assignments together.
And the dialogue and interaction extend beyond your peers; your instructor is actively involved in online class discussions and available to answer questions through phone and email.
If you are already in business, you may be able to receive a complete write-off of the cost of education, including travel costs, hotel, meals, and training. This means that you may be able to reduce your tax debt by the amount spent on education, making it free of cost to your business. Check with your accountant to verify if your local government offers a tax deduction for education purposes.
What We Can Do For You
- We can provide on-site training at your location anywhere in the world.
- Training sessions can be provided in English, Spanish, or in any other language through a local translator.
- We provide tax-deductible Weekend Technical Retreats and Seminars at our location in sunny Cuernavaca, Mexico.
- We provide a Train-The-Trainer program, where we train individuals within your organization to assist in your training program.
- We can provide online training through the use of audio/visual conferencing software for a more cost-effective program.
- We can build a custom training session based on your specific needs and expectations.
- No matter what segment of the screenprinting technologies you operate within, you will benefit from our training sessions.
- We have been conducting training in all segments of the screenprinting technologies since 1967, and have trained thousands of individuals.
- We are professional educators who have owned and operated several successful screenprinting shops.
- We provide comprehensive solutions to bring control to the screenprinting process.
- We only work on your behalf to educate you.
- We do not have products to sell to you.
- We do not accept payment from manufacturers or distributors to push any products toward you.
- We provide only the current Best Practice methods in our training.
- We do not use a canned presentation but provide a custom solution for your needs.
- We answer all of your questions honestly and never make guesses.
- Your instructor, Bill Hood, is a member of the prestigious Academy of Screen & Digital Printing Technologies (ASDPT) and a lifetime member of the Specialty Graphic Imaging Association (SGIA).
- We are the recipient of two Swormsted Awards for Excellence in Technical Writing.
An Example Curriculum
Below is a partial list of subjects that we have researched and taught in great detail. Any of these and others covering myriad subjects can be included in your screenprint training. Please let us know where you have problems and need more knowledge. We will work with you to implement a training program based on your individual needs, providing you with exactly what you need.
- What Can and Cannot be Printed
- Art for Screenprinting
- Film Positives and Output
- Halftone Technologies
- Correct Angles and Line Count
- Prevention of Moiré
- Pre-Registration Systems
- Screenroom Design
- Screenroom Equipment
- Screenroom Lighting
- Screenprinting Applications
- Choosing the Correct Mesh
- Geometry of Mesh
- Special Applications
4. Frame Systems
- Different Frame Systems
- Frame Size
- Free Mesh Area
- Golden Image Ratio of Image to Screen Size
5. Importance of Tension
- Screenprinting Frame Systems
- Tensioning Systems
- Tensioning Technology
- Measuring Technologies
6. Stencil Preparation
- Degreasing Techniques
- Drying Uncoated Mesh
- Improved Coating Techniques for Direct Emulsion
- Applying Capillary Film
- Drying the Coated Screen
- Stencil Technology/Systems
- Measuring Technologies
- Computer to Screen Systems
- Exposure Control
7. Stencil Development
- Development Process
- Drying the Stencil
- Blocking and Taping the Stencil
8. Ink and Coatings
- Ink Systems
- Surface Texture
9. Press Setup
- Optimizing the Printing Process
- Geometric Parallel and Plane
- Fill Blade
- Setup of Multicolor Jobs
- Color Sequence
- Wet-On-Wet Printing
- Process Printing
- Flash Gel Units
- Pressroom Efficiency
11. Curing and Drying
- Types of Curing Units
- Curing Process Explained
- Setting Up the Dryer
- Dryer Maintenance
12. Screen Reclamation
- Ink Removal
- Emulsion Removal
13. Health and Safety
- MSDS Documents
This is just one example of the myriad subjects that can be included in your screenprint training. We will work with you to implement a training program based on your individual needs, providing you with exactly what you need.
To reach out to us about your training needs you can contact us here and leave a message. We will get back to you ASAP.
If you have an immediate need, you can contact us by telephone in the USA at 1.512.807.8222 or in Mexico at +52.044.777.565.3061 during the hours of 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Central Standard Time.
We look forward to hearing from you and providing you with answers to any questions you might have.